SLOGAN

BEYOND THE BANDS. BEYOND THE VENUE. BEYOND THE MUSIC. THIS BLOG BRINGS FORTH ALL THAT IS METAL.

Monday, April 23, 2012

Dialogues of the Steel Jaws of Death: Niuvis Martin and her Paradise Portrait

Channel 13 is proud to announce “Dialogues of the Steel Jaws of Death”, our interview section of the blog, and what better way to kick off this series than by interviewing Niuvis Martin, the creator of a very kick ass work of art.

I6Z6A6N - Tell the audience a bit about yourself?

Niuvis - Born in Cuba, raised in Miami my whole life. I am multidisciplinary artist, both visually and musically inclined as well as a die hard Metal fan.

I6Z6A6N – Who and/or what got you into Metal and when did this happen?

Niuvis - I believe it all started when I moved from Kendall to Tamiami and changed schools in the spring of 2001. I was intrigued with the "rockers" at my middle school and was drawn to the culture thus felt a strong connection to the ideas/lifestyle/music. I sought out for myself some heavy underground bands of that nature. And later on I obviously progressed to the more secular realm and did my research on underground Metal. Then lo and behold, before I knew it, I was baptized in blood.

I6Z6A6N - What is the name of your art piece?

Niuvis - “Paradise”


I6Z6A6N - What was your inspiration for the project?

Niuvis – Metal music and the subculture along with religious art. It was moreover a direct compositional reference to Tintoretto’s’ “Paradise”.

I6Z6A6N - What materials were utilized to make this piece?

Niuvis – A PLETHORA OF CONCERT PHOTOS. Three 4x6 ft panels of Birch plywood, DASS transparency film and a plotter to print the images, DASS Supersauce, Photoshop, Gudy adhesive roll, Acrylic paint and Matte Medium.


I6Z6A6N - How long did it take to complete?

Niuvis - About 2 months.I6Z6A6N - How long have you been a Metal fan?

Niuvis – For about 12 years now.

I6Z6A6N - Did your past experiences as a Metal fan helped in any way contribute to your art piece?

Niuvis - They most definitely did! This piece has been my visual response to these 12 years of madness!


I6Z6A6N - Did any album (or albums) or musician (or musicians) inspired you during the process?

Niuvis – It was more of the culture itself, as a whole being part of my inspiration. Also my love and dedication to it played a major role. A few of my very good friends also helped me pave the way for my ideas to bloom such as Tim Creter and Jean Saiz. Many thanks to them.

I6Z6A6N – Aside from the music, what is the most interesting part of Metal music and its culture to you?

Niuvis – The best way I can describe it is the aspect of reality Metal and its conceptual origins bring to the table as opposed to mainstream music and their materialistic and egotistical point of view. Metal to me, is about a constant battle within ourselves and against the world. It’s about true freedom of self and the rejection of anything and anyone who tries to stop these freedoms from happening. It’s also about the sense of community that is created within this music subculture.

I6Z6A6N - Is there any unique way you have benefited from Metal?

Niuvis – I have benefited from Metal in the sense that it has helped me mature much quicker in life because you are constantly in this state of heavy thinking; pondering life/death and everything else around you, you become an observer of things, and from that mentality you tend to learn a lot quicker of the errors in man-kind thus try your best to not repeat them. And of course it has certainly shaped my artistic vision, helping me to focus on the things that are important to me, thus the creation of “Paradise”.

I6Z6A6N - What are your top “13” Metal albums of all time?

Niuvis - I will list them according to my preferences from the very beginnings of my dedication to the music up until recently, where my tastes have changed a bit:

1) Immortal - Sons of Northern Darkness
2) Blood Red Throne - Monument of Death
3) Death - Leprosy
4) Bathory - Hammerheart
5) Kyuss - Welcome to Sky Valley
6) Electric Wizard - Witchcult Today
7) Bolt Thrower - Mercenary
8) Benediction - The Dreams You Dread
9) Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness
10) Slugathor - Echoes from Beneath
11) Black Sabbath - Paranoid
12) Bongripper - Satan Worshipping Doom
13) Inquisition - Into the Infernal Regions of the Ancient Cult

The list can surely go on and on because I have so many favorites, but I will stop here with lucky number 13.

I6Z6A6N - When I saw your portrait debut a week ago, it definitely made a very good impression not only on myself, but others who managed to view it, both Metal fans and “Outlanders” (people not into Metal music) seemed to have responded positive to it. Do you feel this was your intent or did you have another impact in mind?

Niuvis – My intentions were to simply share my outlook on this subculture and the music as being a spiritual experience. I achieved this by transforming metal head fans and musicians alike into religious iconography. It was almost like a science experiment. I wanted to find a visual correlation between spirituality and Metal music in particular to then intertwine them as one in a unique way.


I6Z6A6N - Aside from the plebeian’s perspective, what were your friends and family’s reaction before it was released to the masses?

Niuvis – “WOW” and speechlessness were most of the reactions. They couldn’t believe their eyes. Most people were truly amazed and proud of what I had accomplished after a long hard struggle of finding my way to the top.


I6Z6A6N - Which genre of Metal is the one that strikes the chord of steel in you?

Niuvis – It is very difficult to place a distinction between just ONE because ALL have had a significant impact throughout the years therefore I will mention the few that I am most passionate about: Death, Black, Doom, and Stoner/Sludge.

I6Z6A6N - Now, to ask a controversial question, of all the forms of Metal that exists, which is the one you detest?

Niuvis – I love all Metal genres except “nu-metal”, or “metal-core”, because we all know it’s not the real deal and has been diluted for youngsters who don’t know any better.

I6Z6A6N – Do you have any plans in the future for additional art works to be added to your portfolio?

Niuvis – I plan to continue using my photographs from concerts and the subjects within them to create a transcendental visual phenomenon and thus push the idea of spirituality within metal music further and see where it takes me. This is an on-going body of work in which I do not intend to stop anytime soon.


I6Z6A6N – That's all the questions I have, any final words before we part into our Metal lives?

Niuvis – Stay true and continue to tread along the path you have created for yourselves. No matter how many distractions have bombarded, trying to keep you off track or sufferings you have endured to pull you under, the fact that you are still alive and breathing should be an indication to continue doing the things you are most passionate about. No matter what negativity comes your way, always remember, YOU are in charge of your life; no one else is, so make the best of it while we are still here on this earth, for the unknown parts in our universe lurk and yearn for your soul.


I6Z6A6N – Many thanks HEAVY thanks for your time and for the portrait \m/

No comments:

Post a Comment