SLOGAN

BEYOND THE BANDS. BEYOND THE VENUE. BEYOND THE MUSIC. THIS BLOG BRINGS FORTH ALL THAT IS METAL.

Sunday, August 18, 2013

Dialogues of the Steel Jaws of Death: Tanza of Speed Clothes

Fashion. A word Metalheads know without realizing. Confused? It's pretty simple. When we dress ourselves, we aren't taking the advice from the writers of GQ/Vogue/Cosmopolitan magazine is listing. Instead, and depending which Subgenre of Metal we listen/adhere to/feeling at the moment of selection in our closet/drawers/bed/floor/wherever-our-clothing-is-placed/etc, once we put our gear of war on, instant fashion statement. Think about it, from the Thrashers with the White Hi-Top sneakers, semi tight jeans with vague-Thrash-Band-from-the-80's-that-only-released-one-demo shirt, to the Black Metallers who's only colors are predominantly black (primarily on the shirt, minorly on the face) and white (minorly on the shirt, primarily on the face) with spikes that can give one of the stages from Mortal Kombat the texture of green on its face, we can literally whip out a fashion statement faster than a supermodel from the aforementioned busting a heel and making the headlines of TMZ.

While our sense of fashion will always make the impact that only our music can rival and triumph (our fashion sense was born out of the music, you know, mother brings kid into the world, mother has right to exit kid out of the world. Hmmmm, this would make good Metal lyrics, but bad advice upon execution, especially from me), and today we look at an individual who has taken our fashion to Volume "666" and dealt a deeper impact in the fabrics of statements.

Dialogues of the Steel Jaws of Death presents Tanza of Speed Clothes and the band Demona.


I6Z6A6N - Good day Tanza, thank you for your time in taking part with this interview. Please tell the Legions of Channel 13 and METAL about yourself.

Tanza - Hails Izan. I am Constanza, a Chilean 23 years old woman currently living in Quebec, Canada. I'm an artist and musician and since 2011 I started my adventure with the clothing. I am totally self-taught and I realized this is what I really love.

I6Z6A6N - How many years do you have listening to Metal and how did it all start?

Tanza - I was born in a Metal environment. My parents are 80s metalheads and for me always was really normal. Anyway, even if I growed in this area I've never payed atention to it until I turn 13 years. Since then I've being into underground metal, and I love it.

I6Z6A6N - I, like with many others, know you as the founding member of Demona, but today's interview is focused on your cloth line, Speed Clothes. What was the inspiration behind this endeavour?

Tanza - Well, the inspiration basically was because I really felt the need of have a unique way to dress into the stage and I couldn't find what I wanted. Also happened that almost all t-shirt I wanted were just for men so I wanted to fix them. I started like that, just making clothing by myself.

I6Z6A6N - I noticed some of your designs for the pants and tops has a \m/ HEAVY \m/ emphasis on the 80's Metal Movement, specfically Speed/Thrash, Traditional/NWOBHM and to a certain extent (correct me if I am wrong) Glam/Hair. Did these forms of music help mold what you were seeking, or was it your homage to these styles of Metal?

Tanza - Actually I try to make my clothing totally inspired in 80s metal scene. Glam and Hair metal no thanks, it's not my type, it's not what I like, ergo, it's not what I do. Like I told you, I want to make what I would love to dress with.



I6Z6A6N - The stage armor you wear is obviously designed by you. Any particular artist or form of Metal helped in influencing its architect?


Tanza - I think the way to dress it's really important in a band when this one goes on stage. I wanted to find the identity of my "stage character". My inspiration? Nifelheim, Piledriver, Sabbat, etc... I really wanted something dark, spikie, with this evil touch.

I6Z6A6N - It's finally time to talk about what is arguably your best (and most popular ) offering to the world of Metal Fashion, the swimsuits. What sparked the green light to make it happen?

Tanza - I don't know actually! One day I order to print a yard of fabric with the logo of Desaster (the inverted cross with the serpents) and I thought the image would fit perfect in a entire one piece swimsuit. But also I thought maybe a one piece classic swimsuit could be a bit boring so I made them like a monokini. I showed to my mother (she's a dressmaker too) and she said she was thinking the same, so I did my first attempt of swimsuit. The Desaster one.

I6Z6A6N - I will personally say that the swimsuits look amazing and it is an eye catcher. My personal favorites are "Destruction Infernal Overkill", "Kreator" Pleasure to Kill", "Iron Maiden Killers", "Desaster Tyrants Of The Netherworld", "Exumer Possessed By Fire", "Living Death Vengeance of Hell", "Demona Skull". As for these and the remaining designs, any particular reason why these albums were selected to be emblazoned on the monokinis?

Tanza - Not actually. I just made what I really like. I also try to make them with the band's permition if the band it's active. Sadly with bigger bands I can not count because contact them it's almost impossible, but almost all of them are accepted for the same bands. I make swimsuits of great 80s metal band, the ones I think are an inspiration to every single true metalhead.




I6Z6A6N - One thing I notice about the swimline is the art of album covers being perfectly placed in the swimsuit. How did you manage (in terms of ) to place the art itself on the swimsuit?

Tanza - Well, it's a hard process. I take the image and I turn them in a giant resolution. I vectorize them, I fix the colours and I replace the image in a way that can fit in the swimsuit pattern. All that graphic work it's made by myself too.



I6Z6A6N - Where are your clothes manufactured?

Tanza - Well, I live in Quebec, Canada, ergo, I manufacture them in here, Quebec.

I6Z6A6N - How have the bands who's artwork you help further immortalize react to your clothing line. Any particular reaction that stands out from the rest?

Tanza - Well, the guys of Blood Feast were really happy with the result of the item, they thought it was a really nice tribute to them! Also i am really happy to know that Running Wild shared the Branded and Exiled monokini in their official facebook page. Tom Angelripper, from Sodom, also agreed with the release of the monokini and he even sent me the image in the best quality so I can make it easier.


I6Z6A6N - Have there been any Metal artist that has ordered from your company and if you are able to disclose their name, who were they?

Tanza - Well, yeah, a couple of band asked me for this, but I prefer to keep it for myself.

I6Z6A6N - One question that comes to everybodies minds with regards to everything that is Speed Clothes, is modeling your own clothing. How did this decision came to be? Were there any dificulties encountered?

Tanza - I do model my own clothing, but it's not because I think I can be a super model or something, not at all. Like I always say "I'm not the pritties, I'm not the skinnier, but I am a real woman". I model for two reasons: Because people wants to see the clothing in a real woman's body and not in a skinny 6 feet woman, and also because it's the faster way to show my clothing, without I have to wait a model pose them for me.


I6Z6A6N - Have you had the opportunity to meet clients who have purchased your products and what has their reaction been?

Tanza - Well, one of my good friends it's the result of this. She used to buy clothing to me and we kept the contact. But no, in general I just keep an online relation with them and that's it. This is because in general my clients are from other cities and countries. They really like what they purchase and I am so happy for that.

I6Z6A6N - Are there any new designs coming out from your clothing line that Metalheads can look forward to?

Tanza - Yes! Totally. I am starting to design new stuff. My sheets are full of drawings right now. I need to figure out what I'll do first, etc.



I6Z6A6N - Have you been offered opportunities to model with other fashion designers?

Tanza - No, but anyway it's not what I'm looking for! I am not a model and I don't want to be anyway, I am just modeling my clothing for a need matter.

I6Z6A6N - Any other clothing line that has caught your eye that you have enjoyed its "Metalocity"?

Tanza - Yes! I admire a lot of other designers that make metal clothing! I also buy clothing from other designers and I like to share what they do. It's great to see people do stuff for metal more than "metal" in itself, because this it's not just music, it's a culture, it's a way of life.

I6Z6A6N - It's time for the 13 fashion tips of Tanza (aka Tanza's top 13 Albums). It can be in any order as you wish, and you can "sew" this list to your liking.

Tanza -

1) Carrion - Evil is There
2) Vectom - Speed Revolution
3) Vectom - Rules of Mistery
4) Taurus - Signo de Taurus
5) Sepultura - Schizophrenia
6) Running Wild - Branded and Exiled
7) Metallica - Kill'em all
8)Wardance - Heaven it's for sale
9) Rigor Mortis - Rigor Mortis
10) Pain - Insanity
11) Living Death - Metal Revolution
12) Savage Grace - After the fall from Grace
13) Darkness - Death Squad.

I6Z6A6N - How has Metal shaped your entire life?

Tanza - Metal made me do a lot of things like made a band, play guitar, this clothing line, etc. It's part of my life already and I'm screwed, it's like that.

I6Z6A6N - What would you say is Metal's biggest impact in your life?

Tanza - Hard question, next one.

I6Z6A6N - As for your future with Metal, do you have any potential new goals you wish to accomplish (in Metal Music and/or Fashion)?

Tanza - Yes. I really want to open a store one day. I'm not saying soon, I'm not saying next year, but it's one of my dreams. Also I have a heavy metal project in my brain right now, apart of Demona. I am sure this will go really good.


I6Z6A6N - Any final words you wish to leave before finishing this wardrobe of words?

Tanza - Thanks a lot for this cool interview. It was fun. I am happy to see myself achieving stuff, even if it was not what I was planning for my life. Ah! I want to say a little something: Some people say that metal it's not fashion, metal should not be sold like this, but I want to ask what's the difference in buy a band's t-shirt or a ban'd swimsuit? Nothing. Man, it's clothing and women we have the right to dress good and metal, just like you guys buy a t-shirt or a backpatch. That's all! Thanks for read this! and if you don't know about my clothing you can check by yourself in www.facebook.com/speedclothes.

For more information on Speed Clothes and Demona, please visit the following links:

Speed Clothes Official Facebook
Demona Official Website
Demona Official Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment