SLOGAN

BEYOND THE BANDS. BEYOND THE VENUE. BEYOND THE MUSIC. THIS BLOG BRINGS FORTH ALL THAT IS METAL.

Monday, January 7, 2013

Dialogues of the Steel Jaws of Death: Karla Renee and Her Behemoth Autographed Tattoos

Fandom. Something many Metalheads can relate to. As a society, we are drawn in by those who make the most crucial component of our culture happen, the music.

There are many different types of fans. The casual fan will consist of individuals who have a passing interest in a band and afterwards, move on to another band. The mid-level fan is someone who will buy a shirt or 2 and listen to said bands albums in semi-rotation.

Than you have the elite of the fandom squad, the hardcore, it's :::INSERT NAME OF BAND HERE::: or nothing. These are the ones who have dedicated a good chunk of their life (in many or every facet) to the band of their choice. Sometimes it can be investing a good chunk of money (like albums, schwag, concerts), time (waiting for hours after a concert for the band to come out to sign autographs and meet their fans), and sometimes beyond (like getting a tattoo to signify their loyalty, or sacrifice living beings to their chosen Metal God/Goddess, or burning a church in the name of their overlord behind the instrument.).

Today we look at one individual who decided to take the hardcore route in the may trails of Heavy Metal. During the 2012 Barge to Hell event, a very unsuspecting but awesome lady decided to get her arm autographed by the members of Behemoth, and took it a step further and had her autographed arm tattooed in the Bahamas, staking her claim in Metal History.

The Dialogues of the Steel Jaws of Death introduces Karla Renee and Her Behemoth Autographed Tattoos \m/


I6Z6A6N - Good day Karla. I want to say once again thanks for being such a kickass fellow Valkyrie on the Barge to Hell, your company definitely made the voyage even more "Majestic".

Karla – Haha, thanks. It was a pleasure!

I6Z6A6N - Can you tell the audience about yourself?

Karla – Sure thing. I’m just your average 23 year old Metal-Head who lives in Spokane, Washington. I wish my life was a little more interesting, but that’s about it right there. Haha. I enjoy writing and painting, and I pretty much spend most of my free time learning about anything and everything (on the internet, of course).

I6Z6A6N - Why did the Metal summon you and when/how did it all start?

Karla – That is a long journey, my friend. My dad was always like ‘secretly’ into certain rock and metal bands, and occasionally Metallica would play on the radio, so I first remember listening to metal probably when I was about 4. My mom wanted me to get into other music (or rather into a mainstream subculture), and it was several years before I came back. It started a little slow, you know, getting back into it. I listened to more mainstream at first, stuff like Slipknot, Korn, or Lamb of God, and that was about eighth grade. I was 15 when I really immersed myself. We bought a Metal for the Masses album, and that’s when I first heard Arch Enemy and Behemoth.

I fell in love with Arch Enemy right away, but Behemoth had to grow on me. Conquer All was the very first song of theirs I had heard, and at that point in my life it was just too much metal for me, if that’s even possible! Lol But the song kept getting stuck in my head over and over, so I picked up Demigod and by the end of the year Behemoth had topped my favorite band list. After I saw them live for the first time, I was completely hooked on Death Metal! I tried to make every show I possibly could after that.


I6Z6A6N - What's the one aspect of this music and its culture that intrigues you the most?

Karla – A friend once told me that Metal-Heads are some of the most intelligent people around…and I think that’s what I enjoy the most; a good conversation or face-thrashing session with people that actually care to better themselves mentally. We may be the most brutal bunch around—but we’re smart, and friendly. There is never a dull moment!

I also love the way we can make fun of ourselves. We have this certain persona to keep up to the rest of the world, but from the inside we joke about it all the time. There is nothing funnier than watching a drunken Metal-Head signing ‘Lovin’ You’ at three in the morning…Or watching stereotypes come alive on Metalocalypse. Haha, oh man.

As for the music itself…It’s old school. Actual instruments, heart-felt lyrics (or just really good lyrics, or hilarious lyrics, in GWAR’s case), costumes, attitude. Those bands care about what they do, they envelope themselves in their music, it’s their pride. It makes me feel a certain pride, then too. I don’t want to think about where I would be right now if Metal didn’t exist!

I6Z6A6N - What would be the greatest concert you have attended?

Karla – Massive tossup there…I was around for probably one of the last times Nergal ever ripped a bible on stage…so that was intense and amazing…but every Behemoth concert I see just floors the next one, so honestly, I’m going to say it was the Barge to Hell. There is absolutely nothing better than being on a boat in the Caribbean during the middle of winter with some of the most incredible metal bands known! (Oh, and of course, two thousand drunken metal-heads)

I6Z6A6N - Aside from the listening to the music, do you do anything related to Metal outside of the audio appreciation fulfillment?

Karla – Hmm…I was on a street team at one point, something I wouldn’t mind doing again. I fall asleep nightly to Metalocalypse, and any time I leave the house I’m wearing a band shirt or hoodie, haha. I pretty much breathe metal, if you know what I mean. Unfortunately I’m not so good with instruments, but I am a master of the computer keyboard. I’ve written some album reviews as well as short stories revolving around metal, and I like to study the historical and philosophical implications of lyrics. Personal favorites in that category are Nile, and of course, Behemoth. So much content…But aside from that, not really no. I’m a bit lame, unfortunately. Haha!


I6Z6A6N - Of all the bands that exist, it seems Behemoth strikes the Iron Core in you. What is it about them that makes you "tick"?

Karla – Haha. Yeah, I talk about them a lot. Honestly, there’s so much I could write a book. Behemoth filled that awkward empty spot I felt as a teenager, it felt like home, if that makes sense. I started to really listen to them; looking up lyrics, finding out the backgrounds, or seeing what they really meant to the band. I found out that Nergal and I are a lot alike, actually. He’s smart as hell, got a degree in History I believe, which is something I have always wanted to do. I am a huge history buff; which is probably why I love the lyrical content so much. If I wasn’t so star-struck by him, I’m sure we’d have a lot to talk about, haha.

It’s also about the energy they put into the crowd. I have seriously never been to a better live show. So far nobody has topped them for me. Each time there is just so much energy, both from them and the fans, and back when they were more underground, it was more inclusive so only those who really wanted to be there for Behemoth were. And we were exceedingly rewarded! Haha.

I6Z6A6N - Now it's time to address the History making moment. Your on-the-spot, Behemoth Autographed Tattoos. It's one thing for a person to have everything planned out as far as tattoos are concerned, but yours was the tale of "stage-diving headfirst without looking". What is the epic saga that is Karla's New Tattoos?

Karla – I’ll tell you how that all started. Back in 2008 I had gone to an Arch Enemy show and we waited about three hours for them to come out and sign stuff. I had the whole band sign my chest. When we got home the next day, I realized that I wanted to have one of my biggest heroes’ signature inked into my skin forever. That one is on my chest.

When Behemoth rolled through for Summer Slaughter in ’09, I saw this as another opportunity. Nergal is a massive part of my life. The weird thing about that one is that he was literally just sitting out and mingling with the merch people, and nobody even recognized him without his makeup on. I was just nervous as hell. I asked him to sign the other side of my chest, which, of course, the next day I went and got inked.

After his illness and everything, somewhere back in April last year I had decided I wanted him to finish my chest piece by scribbling on me basically, haha. It was just an idea I had thrown around. I wanted to wait after the show, but I realized he was probably still feeling pretty crappy and didn’t want fans hanging all over him…

Then I found out about the barge. In fact, this whole thing was sort of an unplanned adventure. I decided to follow Behemoth to the ends of the earth, haha. It wasn’t until I was standing in line that I figured I may as well get the whole band done, and to make it a part of a sleeve on my arm. I was just happy having the signatures, really. But later that night, after I’d had a few cocktails, I realized there was no way I could wait to get it done back in Miami. It had to be the next day when we ported at the Bahamas. A friend and I looked for about an hour on the ship computers looking to see if there were any shops in the Bahamas. There was literally only one.

I was decided at that point. If the shop was clean, I was going through with it! I did not want the memories to fade. Now every time I look at my arm, I can cherish the great times I had on that ship. I usually never make decisions on my tattoos that quickly, but this time it was definitely worth it!!!!

I6Z6A6N - With the deed now said and done, how have friends, relatives and fellow Metalheads reacted to the ink?

Karla – HAHA! Oh man. I was sitting in the airport, and my friend came up and told me Nergal had posted the pictures of my tattoo on the official Facebook page. Nergal had taken some pictures while we were on the cruise of my arm just after it got done with his phone, and uploaded it that day. I didn’t find out until at least two days later, and man I was so embarrassed! I never expected for that to happen! I was just so excited to show him my tattoos because I thought they were awesome. Haha. Many of my friends think it’s bad-ass, and I guess those who posted on Nergal’s picture were split fifty-fifty on whether or not they thought it was a good idea, haha. Some kid asked if my arm would be worth money if he took my skin off of it and mounted it on his wall. That was hilarious!

The others called me some pretty nasty things, saying I was stupid or whatever, and some 12 year old kid said I was doing it just for the attention. I had to defend myself. lol I let everyone know on the forum that I had gotten the tattoos done simply because I wanted them; they are meaningful to me and I see no better reason for getting a tattoo. As for trying to get attention…I simply waved at Nergal, he saw my arm, and asked to take pictures of me, not the other way around. The band, it seems, loves to see die-hard fans get inked up! Either way, I’m still sort of embarrassed about all the attention I received on the ship as well as when I got home over the whole ordeal. One of the ladies I met had incredible Behemoth-related tattoos, and she was probably way more reserved about them than I was…but I loved them! I hope to get some ink like hers soon!


I6Z6A6N - How did the guys from Behemoth react to the "Tattus of Fanus Extremus"?6?6?6?

Karla – When I was standing in line at the meet & greet, I showed Nergal my chest tattoo. He cried, “Oh shit!” They all just turned, and were like, “Is that for real?” I could feel my face turning red as he pulled out his phone and started taking pictures. He looked pretty stoked. Haha. Thankfully that one didn’t go on the site, I’m sure I looked awful haha. But the rest of the band seemed pretty surprised by it. I was actually kinda worried they were thinking I was being some kind of attention-slut! Haha. No…but they were all really cool. They are super nice guys. I’d like to have a cup of coffee with them someday, and just talk about life.

I6Z6A6N - Do you see yourself listening and participating in Metal for the years to come?

Karla – Oh hell yes! Metal is my home.

I6Z6A6N - The 13 Deadly Tattoos of Karla (aka Karla's top 13 albums). This is your list, so go chronologically, technologically, pathogically, Karlogically.

Karla – Crap. Lol Can I really narrow it down that far??…oh man. This’ll be tough.

1) The Apostasy - Behemoth
2) Thelema.6 – Behemoth
3) Demigod – Behemoth
4) Evangelion – Behemoth
5) Zos Kia Cvltvs – Behemoth
6) Wages of Sin – Arch Enemy
7) Reroute to Remain – In Flames
8) With Odin on Our Side – Amon Amarth
9) Annihilation of the Wicked – Nile
10) Genesis – Rotting Christ
11) Vermin – Old Man’s Child
12) In Defiance of Existence – Old Man’s Child
13) In Sorte Diaboli – Dimmu Borgir
(honorable mention to Issues by Korn, that was some of my lifeblood as a kid)


I6Z6A6N - How does Metal round out your entire life?

Karla – Round out? Metal just about dictates it. Haha. I can’t say for sure, but I just have a certain view of the world and a certain mentality because I listen to metal and choose to immerse myself into that subculture. It’s seriously only something a Metal-Head would understand; nobody else gets it. And that is totally fine! The things I think and feel, I just feel empowered. Brutal. Metal. You know? See it makes no sense if you’re not a Metal-Head. Hahaha!

I6Z6A6N - What would be the biggest Metal Misadventure you have experienced?

Karla – Another tossup…there’s two, but I’m going to have to say my first Arch Enemy show. An ex-boyfriend, his friend, and I all drove to Seattle from Spokane. We’re in this tiny little Ford something-or-other, and my ex’s friend is driving. Before we even took off he warned us not to screw with the laptop as it had the driving directions to the venue on it. Not twenty minutes later my ex-boyfriend is playing around with it, and takes out the battery! God, that was just the beginning of our problems. Haha. I end up having to get us there purely on memory; and being somewhat familiar with Seattle, I drove us in a few loops around my Uncle’s house in Ballard first before I could remember how to get down to the venue. I finally got us there alright.

This part here is the worst. We get out of the show, and I hadn’t even thought about this until we left (only because I figured it was all taken care of, like I had been told it was) but I asked my ex if he booked the hotel for us since we didn’t want to drive back until morning. He just gave me this look. My stomach sank and I swear I have never wanted to punch someone so hard in my life! He didn’t book the hotel like he had told me he had, so basically he lied to me, and I was going to have to sleep in a car with this guy! Oh I was so pissed off. He said it would be okay that we could just go get one (the idiot didn’t realize most places do not take cash up front anymore, it’s all done by card), and so we stood at a hotel for about an hour trying to argue out getting a room without a card when I finally pulled out my card so we could have a bed to sleep in. It was terrible. Needless to say, I dumped him. Haha.

I6Z6A6N - Finally, what do you have to say to fellow fans who contemplate getting a band tattoo?

Karla – Do it! By all means =) But only if it really means something to YOU! I have many friends who have band tattoos. One friend has several Amon Amarth tattoos, Aeon, etc. and another has all sorts of death/black metal honorary tattoos. Behemoth, Watain, Children of Bodom, you name it. He had his arms all done up! I saw many tribute tattoos on the cruise, and I loved every one of them…I think it is great to ink in your support and show off the things that have made you by tattooing them.

(I6Z6A6N NOTE: As noted earlier, this picture is from Nergal's Phone. He took the picture and uploaded it into Behemoth's Facebook)

I6Z6A6N - That's all the questions I have for you. I wanted to once again say thanks for the opporunity in making your acquaintance and becoming a friend. Any last words before parting?

Karla – Hmm…final words! Well, it was absolutely my pleasure! This was a lot of fun. And thank you, sir, for becoming a friend! I look forward to our many talks and adventures in the future!

Photos courtesy of Karla Renee, C'est La Vie Photography and Nergal's iPhone.

No comments:

Post a Comment